Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid Training is a critical component to education.
As a Certified MHFA Instructor, Anne Bryan Trent reaches out to parent organizations and schools to teach how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
School Violence Protection Program (SVPP)
Too often, mental disabilities can lead to at-risk behavior. Without proper emotional support, young people can feel isolated and resentful — and these feelings can result in verbal outbursts as well as physical violence, including self-abuse or aggression against authority figures and school mates. At Absolute Defense, we consult with SVPP to create strategies and tactics that take the guesswork out of mental health first aid.
What Topics Do We Generally Address?
Everyone involved with mental health issues are fully aware of danger signs. They manifest themselves in Depression and Mood Disorders, Trauma, Substance Abuse, Anxiety and Psychoses.
What are the Warning Signs of Suicide or Violent Behavior?
- Making threats to kill oneself or others.
- Talking incessantly about death and dying.
- Withdrawing from family and friends.
- Feeling unceasingly hopeless
- Welcoming dangerous, reckless activity.
- Using alcohol or drugs to an Extreme.
- Appearing agitated or angry
- Having dramatic mood swings.
- Seeking ways and means to take a life.
How Do We Apply MHFA in Crisis Situations?
First, our attitude speaks volumes. We teach them to believe they can recover and succeed. We tell them that we believe in them. We assure them that they, like many other students before them, can get better and stay strong. But, then we have to back our encouragement with specific action.
What Makes Up a Mental Health First Aid Action Plan?
- First we learn to listen and not pass judgment.
- We Inspire and fortify confidence.
- We endorse the procurement of professional help.
- We consistently provide essential information.
- We encourage self-reliance and other positive attributes.
- We make an assessment of suicide risk or harmful acts.
Youth Mental First Aid Course Guide
1. Average Cost
$75/Participant (includes the Course Manual).
2. Course Duration
3. Course Options
One full day; 2 four-hour sessions; or 4 two-hour sessions.
Please don’t hesitate to call me or email me with any questions you may have. You can use the form at right to contact me and I will try to respond within 48 hours.